Lake Buena Vista, Fla. – Mickey Mouse is turning 90! To celebrate, Disney Parks will kick off the World’s Biggest Mouse Party later this year. To honor Mickey & Minnie Mouse special festivities will be held at each resort around the world. With a party of this magnitude Disney will be celebrating all the way into 2019.
Mickey History Lesson
First appearing as Steamboat Willie in Nov, 18 1928, Mickey was created by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks at the Walt Disney Studios. An anthropomorphic mouse who typically wears red shorts, large yellow shoes, and white gloves, Mickey is one of the world’s most recognizable characters. Mickey first appeared in the short Plane Crazy, debuting publicly in the short film Steamboat Willie (1928), one of the first sound cartoons. He went on to appear in over 130 films, including The Band Concert (1935), Brave Little Tailor (1938), and Fantasia (1940). At first Mickey appeared primarily in short films, but also occasionally in feature-length films. Ten of Mickey’s cartoons were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film, one of which, Lend a Paw, won the award in 1942.
In 1978, Mickey became the first cartoon character to have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Celebrate with Mickey
Some of the scheduled celebrations include:
- In the fall, ABC will air a tv-special for Mickey in honor of his birthday with special celebrity guests, musical performances and more.
- The Disney Channel will debut season five of Mickey Mouse animated shorts, including a special seven-minute extended-length birthday episode that will air later this year.
- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts around the world will celebrate Mickey’s 90th on November 18th, marking the day with commemorative merchandise, photo locations, and more.
- Beginning in late 2018 and into 2019 the World’s Biggest Mouse Party, saluting Mickey and Minnie, will take place at Disney Parks worldwide.
- Disney On Ice will salute Mickey as the “True Original” host of Disney On Ice since its inception in 1981 by creating Mickey’s 90th pre-shows for productions touring the United States, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Latin America.
- Disney On Ice presents Mickey’s Special Celebration, a new production showcasing Mickey Mouse’s memories throughout the years, will launch in Japan in July 2018 and continue touring throughout the Asia-Pacific region until August 2019.
- In France, 38 design and art schools will take part in “Mickey Is Art,” a unique contest in which students will craft works of Mickey, inspired by their favorite artistic movement. The winning designs will be displayed this summer in 12 major train stations in France and for sale this September at Galerie Glénat in Paris.
- The Disney store will continue to celebrate milestone moments for Mickey Mouse with the Mickey Mouse Memories Collection (launched Jan 2018), a monthly, limited-release series of 12 collectible plush, mugs, and cloisonné pins inspired by Mickey’s most memorable movie roles.
- Disney Publishing Worldwide will introduce more than 30 titles globally as part of Mickey’s 90th, including books, arts & crafts, and comics.
Disney wants you to share your Happy Birthday wishes and moments on social media. Just use #Mickey90 and you can be part of the Birthday celebration no matter what part of the World you are in!